For the May Queen

For the May Queen - Kate  Evans

It is 1981.  Norma Rogers is 18 years old, a college student, and on her own for the first time in her life.   As someone who was only a year older than Norma in 1981, I can relate to having too much freedom, too many choices, and not enough guidance.  “If it feels good, do it” was definitely the motto of life in the 80’s.  Or at least it was for many young people at that time.

Right from the beginning, I was drawn into Norma’s life – the parties, the friendships, the joy, the struggles, and the sadness.  Kate Evans has created a cast of unique and vividly portrayed characters that are so easy to connect with emotionally.  Each character, from her distant boyfriend, Jack, to her dorm neighbors Goat, Liz, Benny and Chuck, her roommate, Stacy, and her parents and sister, had a significant impact on her life while she was in college and in the years after.

I loved every moment with Norma, her friends and her family.  They allowed me to relive the pain and pleasure of my own youth, difficulty with parents, old friendships, ex-lovers, the hangovers, the highs, wanting to fit in, needing to be loved.   I enjoyed the 80’s cultural references, the snappy dialog, the twists and the surprises.