No Place to Die - James L. Thane I always get a little knot in the pit of my stomach whenever I start reading the work of an author who is also a Goodreads friend. What if I don’t enjoy it? What if I hurt the author’s feelings by writing a less than stellar review? For some reason, this anxiety didn’t occur when I started reading No Place to Die. Maybe it was the last two paragraphs in the Acknowledgments section that cracked me up. Or maybe it was the vivid description of a brutal crime in the first chapter that made me want to read more to find out why Beverly Thompson was abducted and her husband and dog shot. In any case, I was hooked from the very beginning.Sean Richardson and his partner, Maggie McClinton, have their work cut out for them as the body count increases. The killer, Carl McClain, was one of the most compelling villains I’ve come across in a while. Fueled by a desire for vengeance, McClain is devoid of emotion as he systematically takes the lives of those he believed have wronged him. He has a sensitive side too, that is evident when he watches his daughter from afar, and in the complex relationship that develops between him and his captive. I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller. It was gripping and fast-paced with well-developed and believable characters. The sections with McClain and Beverly were very intense and I found at times I was relieved to get back to Sean’s investigation. Thankfully, the details of police work were interesting without being overwhelming. I’m not a fan of police procedurals and would rather read of bold crimes and complex characters without all the mundane activities surrounding police work. I am happy to have made Mr. Thane’s acquaintance and very much look forward to his next novel.