Red Spikes - Margo Lanagan After being blown away by Black Juice, I was eager to read more of Margo Lanagan’s short story collections. So off I went to the library and found a lovely hardcover edition of Red Spikes, received by the library on October 16, 2008. It appeared to be untouched and I confirmed this by looking at the shiny cover free of finger smudges and listening to the crackling noises of its spine as I gently opened it, fanning its pages under my nose and sniffing so deeply it was almost a snort. Then I had a nearly uncontrollable urge to nibble the spine before I finally came to my senses and realized I was holding library property…The stories in this collection are dark, unsettling and moody, and explore a variety of themes. Once again, Lanagan has succeeded in engaging the emotions of this reader by creating rich, imaginative worlds and believable young characters who struggle, learn and grow. I recommend these stories for readers who love dark fantasy and smart young-adult fiction.