Tongue: A Novel - Kyung-Ran Jo, Kim Chi-Young 2.5 starsI really wanted to love [b:Tongue|6389219|Tongue A Novel|Kyung-Ran Jo|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312022856s/6389219.jpg|6577516]. It’s a relatively short book at only 212 pages, but it wasn’t one of those books I could easily read in one or two sittings. There just wasn’t enough there to really draw me in and engage my emotions. Tongue is about a young chef whose boyfriend of 7 years leaves her for another woman. She loses her desire to cook, to eat, and even her sense of taste. Gradually, she starts to put her life back together and returns to the Italian restaurant where she started her career. This is more difficult than it sounds, as she is still obsessed with her ex-boyfriend and is unable to completely let him go. It's a well-written story, but the passion and intensity was missing for me. I expect a book that explores the life of a woman grieving a failed relationship and where food is such a significant part of the story to overwhelm my emotions and senses. The main and secondary characters are very distant. The food is well described, but I couldn't taste or smell it. The boyfriend is hardly described at all. What little I knew of him, I didn’t like and couldn’t understand why the chef was so obsessed with him. Even the conclusion failed to disturb or elicit much emotion. Still, it's rather unusual and worth a read.